Friday, November 21, 2008

The First Single

Well, after a week of disputing what was played of Bruce Springsteen's new single, "Working on a Dream" on NBC's Sunday Night Football, we finally have the FULL-LENGTH single available. New York City's Q104.3 has been streaming the new single all day. You can listen to it....right here.

Honestly, I was a little nervous after Sunday night. As an avid stalker of Springsteen message boards, in particular www.backstreets.com, the opinions were generally negative after Sunday night. I must say though, that I really do like the new single. Now, I'm not trying to say that this is an INCREDIBLE song or that Bruce is really breaking out of the box on this one, but honestly, after 2002's The Rising and 2007's Magic, I was worried we would never really get to hear that classic E-Street sound on record again. Right from the start we got a nice little bass line from Gary, that sweet piano touch from Roy and before you know it....they are kicking into the hook with Stevie singing harmony (or is that Bruce double tracked?). I must say that the Beach Boys style background vocals are what got me. It's a throwback to the old days when all the guys in the band would be singing, something I really think has been missing. Seems like Brendan O'Brien who produced the aforementioned albums, in addition to 2005's Devils & Dust, has gotten over the muddy sound that plagued Magic, and has been able to allow the listener to hear the depth of the E Street Band. I think this is a good start, but hey....give it a listen and form your own opinion.

No comments: