Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Phinally!!

Well....it's been a really long time since i've written anything. So I have a lot of catching up to do with all my loyal readers.....riiight.
Anyways, the world has changed since I last posted in February. I graduated from college, our economy fell into shambles, Obama won the presidency and the PHILLIES won the WORLD SERIES!!!!
It was simply an incredible run from the middle of September on. I'll never forget watching that four game sweep of the Brewers from 9/11 to 9/14 with my dad and him telling me during Sunday's first game, "I've been watching the Phillies for 50 years AND they won once". I told him to have faith, that this team was different. I don't know why I said it. Down the stretch of the regular season and into the playoffs, whenever they fell behind in a game, instead of having that usual here-we-go-again-Philadelphia mentality, something else took over. I started to feel confident. Something told me they were going to win....going to win it all.
That was until Game 5. After Bud Selig's latest debacle of a decision, those familiar old sinking feelings started to rush back. Sitting at my buddy's place before Game 5, Part 2, I was a ball of nerves, unsure of what was going to happen and trying to convince myself this wouldn't be a repeat of the NFC Championship game from January 2003. Something changed though, when I got off the subway at the stadiums and I heard someone play this. I texted my buddy, "We're going to win".
I wish I could bottle up all those feelings from that night. I had a headache after the bottom of the sixth from cheering so loud. First Jenkins, then Burrell and finally, Feliz came through. And that last half inning, I just stood there next to my sister with my hand on my chin, covering my mouth, holding back the tears. And, finally, right before 10:00 PM on October 29th, 2008, WE WON! That glorious roar of the crowd at Citizens Bank Park is a sound I will never forget - the sound of entire city finally, finally, finally getting what they had waited twenty-five long years for. It was a roar filled with pain and heartache, disappointment and resentment, it was a roar of emotional release. Finally Joe Carter and 10,000 losses didn't matter anymore. Hell, the memory of Joe Jurevicius and Ronde Barber running all over the Vet was expelled from my mind, Eric Lindros getting knocked out against the Devils all those years ago was forgotten.

The Philadelphia Phillies were World Champions and we were all winners.

I was there when they clinched the division and thanks to my sister's boyfriend I was able to attend NLDS Game 2, NLCS Games 1 and 2, & World Series Games 3 and 5. THANKS AGAIN MIKE!

That month and a half was the greatest time of my life.

No comments: